On October 30, schools across the country will take part in something called “Mix It Up At Lunch”, an anti-bullying effort that encourages kids to sit with someone outside their regular peer group. Started 11 years ago by the Southern Poverty Law Center, the program hopes to break up cliques and prevent bullying. It should be effective; it’s harder (not impossible, but harder) to bully someone you’ve gotten to know. Personally, having been bullied a bit myself in my younger days and watching my daughter deal with it also, I think it’s an excellent idea. The American Family Association begs to differ with me. According them, Mix It Up At School is “a nationwide push to promote the homosexual lifestyle in public schools”
What you need to know is that the SPLC has declared the American Family Association a hate group due their anti-gay ideology. If you think Dobson’s Focus on the Family or Tony Perkins’ Family Research Council say inflammatory things, check out a few quotes from The AFA:
- “The homosexual movement is a progressive outgrowth of the sexual revolution of the past 40 years and will lead to the normalization of even more deviant behavior.” – Don Wildmon, President of the AFA and UMC minister
- “Homosexuality gave us Adolph Hitler, and homosexuals in the military gave us the Brown Shirts, the Nazi war machine and six million dead Jews.” – Bryan Fischer
- “[T]he homosexual lifestyle is characterized by anonymous sexual encounters and celebration of sexual obsession and perversion unparalleled in any other social group.” – Richard Howe
- “The homosexual agenda represents a clear and present danger to virtually every fundamental right given to us by our Creator and enshrined for us in our Constitution.” Bryan Fischer
- “There is an overwhelming correlation between homosexual preference and pedophilia. This is further evidence that homosexuality is in fact sexual deviancy. For this reason alone, no homosexual should be elevated to the United States Supreme Court.” Bryan Fischer
It appears to me that AFA’s agenda is a greater threat to personal and religious freedom than the LGBT agenda, which is to love who they choose, raise their families and receive the same rights and protections that straight people enjoy. Now would someone tell me how that’s going to destroy the family and the institution of marriage?
What’s really going here is sour grapes on the part of the AFA. The SPLC called them out on their hate speech and they don’t like that. So, instead of focusing on why someone might say that about them, they call an effort to stop the bullying of all kids (not just the gay ones) an effort to promote a non-existent agenda. When they’re called on that, they pull the newest card from the fundamentalist deck and claim that they’re the ones being bullied and denied their rights. I hate to break to them, but standing up to a bully isn’t bullying and it doesn’t infringe on your rights. The AFA is supposed to be a Christian organization, so how about they start acting like one and love their all their neighbors for a change.