This morning, I get to have a CT scan to follow up my recent chemotherapy treatment. It’s just as much fun as it sounds. Unfortunately, I don’t have to time to write any new material this morning, so enjoy this entry from January 11, 2o11. I’ll have some new stuff Monday morning, I promise.
The number in question, of course, is 666. Perhaps the most ubiquitous Christian number of all, 666 has come to mean a lot of different things. Being the Number of the Beast, it’s been indentified with the Anti-Christ even though that term never occurs in the Revelation of St. John the Divine. It’s also been surmised that it’s how the New World Order will control us all. Heck, some nutballs have equated the “Beast” with the Papacy. Personally, I agree with the scholars who say it’s a code for Nero, perhaps the worst persecutor of Christians in history. Since it’s been used to tout everything from theological arguments to heavy metal bands, there are some very interesting things floating around on the internet. Tonight, I thought I’d show you a few.
The Highway to Hell?
I’m not sure if this is on the level or if it’s a joke. But a website proclaiming David Hasselhoff is the Anti-Christ is impeccably weird and the sort of thing makes websurfing worthwhile
- One of my favorites is a list originally found on the Loyala Marymount University website by my brother. First, this proof that Barney is the Anti-Christ:
1. Start with the given: CUTE PURPLE DINOSAUR
2. Change all U’s to V’s (which is proper Latin anyway):
CVTE PVRPLE DINOSAVR
3. Extract all Roman numerals in the phrase: CVVLDIV
4. Convert these into Arabic values:
100 5 5 50 500 1 5
5. Add all the numbers: 666
It also lists a collection of Numbers of the Beast, like:
1. 666 Number of the Beast
2. 666.00000 High precision number of the Beast
3. 666 [-/(-1)] Imaginary number of the Beast
4. 6-6-6 Fertilizer of the Beast
5. 6 uh…, I forget Number of the Blond Beast
- Finally, because I love demotivational posters and MAD magazine, I have to show you this:
I’m sure someone somewhere thinks I’m going to Hell for all this, but they aren’t the first to think it and they certainly won’t be the last.