We did it, we really did it. I truly thought that we might skate right up to the edge of the abyss that is the hate-filled shitshow known as
“The Trump campaign”, but would heed the call of the better angels of our nature and step back. But, we didn’t. We dove in, head-fucking-first and made orange-hued disaster zone Donald Trump President of the United States. Way to go, America. Way to fucking go.
Before I go any further, I just want to say that if you voted for Trump you’re still my neighbor and I still love you. I mean that with all my heart. But, I have to say, I am extremely disappointed in you. Why? Because when you voted for Trump, you told people who are black, Latino, Muslim, LGBTQ, women,…, basically, anyone who isn’t a straight, white man that you don’t give a fuck about them.
How do I come to that conclusion? Let’s break it down by the numbers:
- Donald Trump received the endorsement and support of the Ku Klux Klan, Nazi’s, white nationalists, and Alt-right trolls. He’s not the first to win the backing those odious groups, but he is the first in a long, long time who didn’t immediately repudiate it. In fact, he added a couple of white nationalist activists to his campaign staff.
- In the very first speech he gave, Trump called people from Mexico rapists, drug mules, criminals, etc. To be fair, he did say, “…some, I assume, are good people” (italics mine). Throughout his campaign, he has talked about massive deportations, building a wall and more.
- Trump has called for a ban on Muslims entering the country and greatly increased surveillance (including a database for Syrian refugees). All to fight “Islamic terrorism”. He also attacked the Khan’s, a Gold Star family who just happens to be Muslim.
- Trump opposes marriage equality and transgender bathroom access and supports the First Amendment Defense Act (which basically legalizes discrimination as long as it based in a “deeply-held religious belief). His VP, Mike Pence, believes deeply in conversion therapy (which has been rejected by all major health professions).
- Do I really need to detail Trump’s incredibly awful history with women? I guess so, since quite a few women voted for him. Donald Trump is a documented womanizer and misogynist. He may be guilty of sexual assault and has been accused of raping a 13 year old girl.
This is the man we chose to lead our “Christian nation”.
Several of my friends are hurting right now and most of what they’re saying can be summed by this post from Jasmin Pittman-Morell:
Didn’t sleep very well last night. Fear won out over calls to love or healing or unity across racial/socio-economic/political divides. Grieving and wondering, now what?
Indeed, now what? First of all, we should keep in mind that, as bleak as it looks right now, there is a bit of silver lining: Hillary Clinton is actually ahead in the popular vote. While that doesn’t help much with political stuff, it is heartening to know that the majority of Americans aren’t as racist/sexist/homophobic/Islamophobic as it may seem. Second, we roll up our sleeves and get to work so this kind of shit doesn’t happen again. Third, we hold our breath and hope that the system of checks and balances our Founding Fathers put in place work to restrain Trump’s more dictatorial impulses. I realize that’s not much, but it’s all we’ve got right now.